12.30.2010

Family Affairs

oooooohhh Christmas time...the Holidays...this time of year...when our dear Savior was born >wait a minute wasn't Jesus Christ born in the Spring?< eh I'll get back to that issue later. For now I want to address the issue of family get togethers. How is this an issue? In some families it isn't, to the rest of the world it is. A lot of individuals don't even have any family left to become fat and happy with, lucky them. Some sort of alcohol is usually involved(because thats the only way to get through these gatherings in a sane demeanor). We know that isn't sparkling apple cider Aunt Peggy and Grandma we know that eggnogg ain't that good, it must be spiked. I have celebrated this past Thanksgiving and Christmas up in Oklahoma with my Boyfriend's family. I was very anxious considering I hadn't attended a big family celebration of the Holidays for over 5 years and the ones prior did not turn out very well...
Drama is all I have to say. Drama happens when you get a bunch of people who are related to each other by blood and marriage. Mother brother sister cousin nephew father aunt uncle niece uncle don't forget grandma grandpa and Great Grandparents if your fortunate. Opinions, negotiation and arguments sprout up all over the place...usually somewhere after the big meal and the awkward hellos. In my case, drama is the cause of my entire family being split apart for, lets see... 7 years now. Because where there is an issue, there are sides that need to be chosen, unfortunately everyone else chose one side(aunt uncle grandma grandpa sister cousin) and I was forced to choose the other side along with the drama and her 2nd husband.   
ehh tough break. life goes on. yet something I always wondered was how my life would have been if i had a close knit family and I was really good friends with my cousins and knew all my aunts and uncles. would  i have been able to move halfway across the country on my own to start a new life? would I have been so opinionated about 'living life to the fullest'? or would i have been content working 9 to 5 as long as i was close to home or would i have settled for the a$$hole boyfriend I met while at college who didnt treat me right but had a close knit family....
im so thankful for the holiday drama in my family, otherwise I wouldn't have been where I am now.
i'm independent, not so wise.
others say its quite a disguise
I used to long for the latter
now I'm yearning for the better
yesterday has never been gone
so tomorrow wont ever be long
wait a while, you'll see the future
dont wait too long, you'll be a loser

2 comments: